Saturday, January 18, 2020

{ 52WRR }: Review of What Is Given from the Heart by Patricia C. McKissack

Welcome to Week 2 of { 52 Weeks of Recommended Reading }!

I'm reading one book every week that is an award winner (or honor book) or has been included on a list of great books. You can find my reviews from previous weeks here.

(Just as an FYI... the start of this year was unexpectedly busy so I'm a little behind - I'll be posting a few of these in a row to get caught up on my weeks. :/ But then the plan is that it will be a once-a-week feature, posting on Tuesdays.)


What Is Given from the Heart
by Patricia C. McKissack
illustrated by April Harrison


Available as: hardcover, Kindle edition, ebook
Pages: 40
Publisher: Schwartz & Wade Books
Publication date: January 8, 2019
Suggested tags: picture book, generosity


From the publisher:
"This final, magnificent picture book from three-time Coretta Scott King Award winner and Newbery Honor author Patricia McKissack is a poignant and uplifting celebration of the joy of giving.

“Misery loves company,” Mama says to James Otis. It’s been a rough couple of months for them, but Mama says as long as they have their health and strength, they’re blessed. One Sunday before Valentine’s Day, Reverend Dennis makes an announcement during the service– the Temples have lost everything in a fire, and the church is collecting anything that might be useful to them. James thinks hard about what he can add to the Temple’s “love box,” but what does he have worth giving? With her extraordinary gift for storytelling, McKissack–with stunning illustrations by Harrison–delivers a touching, powerful tale of compassion and reminds us all that what is given from the heart, reaches the heart."

Awards/Booklists (as of the time of my review - if you know of more please let me know!):


I had tears in my eyes by the time I was done with this one. Such a sweet, touching story about helping others with a spirit of kindness and generosity, even when you have little to give. James Otis and his Mama are going through some very hard times, and you can feel Mama's despair and James Otis's uncertainty at the beginning of the book through both the words and the artwork (which is a really gorgeous type of mixed media work that fit the story perfectly). James Otis puts a lot of thought and effort into his gift for another family, once he sees that Mama is happily working hard at turning one of her most prized possessions into a gift, and he comes up with something that is equally hand-crafted and heartfelt. By the end of the story, James Otis and Mama both seem a little happier and settled, and they find that their kindness and generosity has come around and been returned to them. It's a wonderful story, beautifully told and illustrated, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone looking for an uplifting story about helping those who are less fortunate and finding value in what you have to offer, even when you are facing difficulties yourself.

Also, I love the idea of "love boxes" - this book inspired me to start a Valentine's Day tradition in our house where we make a love box to donate to an organization, like supplies for an animal shelter or notes and necessities for soldiers overseas. I could see this book being the center of a library program too, where kids can donate or create items for a love box to be distributed where it's needed within their community. 


Final verdict: I loved it! I thought this book was great! I might buy it for myself and I would definitely recommend it to others.



{ My reviews are honest and my opinions are my own; 
your reading experience may vary, so give it a read and see what you think. :) }

No comments:

Post a Comment