Sunday, September 21, 2014

Banned Books Week: Sept. 21-27, 2014

Happy Banned Books Week, fellow readers! From the ALA website:

Banned Books Week is an annual event celebrating the freedom to read. Typically held during the last week of September, it highlights the value of free and open access to information. Banned Books Week brings together the entire book community –- librarians, booksellers, publishers, journalists, teachers, and readers of all types –- in shared support of the freedom to seek and to express ideas, even those some consider unorthodox or unpopular.

In celebration of Banned Books Week, I'll be reading as many banned or challenged books as I can, especially young adult or middle grade books! I'm starting with Bridge to Terabithia, which was one of my favorite books when I was younger, and frankly I can't remember anything about it that would cause it to be challenged. But according to the ALA website, it's been challenged for "occult/Satanism, offensive language." The website Banned Books Awareness expands upon this:
"At issue with censors are death being part of the plot..., Jess’ use of the word “lord” outside of prayer, offensive language, and claims that the book promotes secular humanism, new age religions, the occult, and Satanism. Some critics also proclaim that Leslie is not a good role model simply because she doesn’t attend church."
I really don't remember any of that!! :|

Check out ALA.org to find a list of frequently challenged books. Here are some young adult and middle grade books that I found on the list:

No comments:

Post a Comment