Tuesday, April 10, 2018

{ Top Ten Tuesday } Books I Loved but Will Never Re-Read

Look at this awesome party that I'm super late to! I've been wanting to get into blogging more than just book reviews, and this sounds like the perfect way to get my mind thinking about books I've read in new ways.


{ Top Ten Tuesday } was started by The Broke and the Bookish but is now hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl. She says, "It was born of a love of lists, a love of books, and a desire to bring bookish friends together."


Books I Loved but Will Never Re-Read

{ #1 }
All the Bright Places
by Jennifer Niven

This is a brilliant, wonderful book... and it absolutely destroyed me. I don't want to voluntarily do that to myself again, so I don't think I'll be rereading it. But if you haven't read it yet, definitely give it a try! (Just have lots of tissues and ice cream ready for your post-reading recovery period.)




{ #2 }
Bloody Jack: Being an Account of the Curious Adventures of Mary "Jacky" Faber, Ship's Boy
by L.A. Meyer

This (and the entire Bloody Jack series) was such epic perfection as an audiobook narrated by the late Katherine Kellgren that I don't think I could ever read it in print and have the same experience. I don't even have the desire to try. Rest in peace, Ms. Kellgren - you brought so many stories to life for me in such amazing ways.


{ #3 }
The Book of Tomorrow
by Cecelia Ahern

I loved this book when I first read it... But now I can't remember anything that happened. At all. And usually I can rave to people about my favorite books in probably too much detail. So I guess if it didn't stick with me, maybe it's not really a favorite after all?





{ #4 }
Bridge to Terabithia
by Katherine Paterson

See: All the Bright Places, above. This is a tearjerker. I read this when I was in like 4th or 5th grade, and I didn't understand it fully at the time. I read it again recently as an adult and I UNDERSTOOD EVERYTHING. It's such a heavy, painful book and I wasn't ready for that!! I mean, it's a great book, don't get me wrong, but... I just don't want to go through that again. And I'd like to try other children's classics.


{ #5 }
Eats, Shoots & Leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation
by Lynne Truss

As a proud grammar stickler, this was hilarious to me on the first read... but would I ever want to read it again? Nah. I got the humor the first time. I'm not sure it would be as funny the second time around.




{ #6 }
Girls to the Rescue, Book #2
edited by Bruce Lansky

This was one of my favorites when I was younger. A collection of fairy tales and fables from around the world with young heroines getting stuff done and generally being awesome. I read it over and over and over... and I would read it again now! This one makes the list because I can't find it anywhere! *sob*




{ #7 }
Heartless
by Marissa Meyer

I'm pretty picky about my Wonderland retellings, and I haven't really enjoyed any since I found Splintered. While I was reading Heartless, I was like "YES!! Finally! Another Wonderland series that I can get lost in!!" ... But sadly, I was mistaken. This is not a series. And I was so disappointed by that that I just don't think I want to read this one again knowing I can't go any farther in the story. I want more, and there isn't any more. :(


{ #8 }
Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell
by Susanna Clarke

Ok, this was definitely a favorite the first time I read it, and I keep trying to reread it... but every time I try, I give up! This is a HARD book to get through! It's soooo looooong, and there are so many footnotes... gah. I just can't do it. But it is one of my favorites, so if you're up for a challenge, try it!




{ #9 }
The Rites Wrongs of Janice Wills
by Joanna Pearson

I majored in Anthropology, and no one who asked what I was majoring in ever knew what it was, so imagine my excitement when I found a YA book with a MC who is into anthropology!!! What?? YES, totally my new favorite book, right?? ... Well, actually, meh. I mean, I still think it's AWESOME that someone worked anthropology into a YA book, but the story wasn't so great that I'd want to read it again, unfortunately.


{ #10 }
Wideacre
by Philippa Gregory

At one time, I was OBSESSSSSED with Philippa Gregory books. I devoured them all, and this Wideacre trilogy was one of my favorites. Dark family secrets! A selfish, spiteful, love-to-hate-her MC! Watching everything come crashing down around her in spectacular fashion! YES!!! I was there for it!! ... And then some years later, I reread it. And it was awful..?? I have no idea what happened, because I still like that kind of dark, desperate book. Just not... this book, I guess? Hmm. It's a mystery.


What books made your list this week? Let me know in the comments!

4 comments:

  1. I would have loved more Heartless too, I feel like there is space for the author to expand on that world.
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2018/04/10/top-ten-tuesday-154/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There definitely is! I get why she stopped where she did... but that doesn't mean I'm happy about it. lol. Thanks for visiting! :)

      Delete
  2. Omg the ending of Heartless DESTROYED me I NEED more!

    ReplyDelete