Sunday, September 30, 2018

{ The Sunday Post }: September 30, 2018

https://caffeinatedbookreviewer.com/the-sunday-post-meme

The Sunday Post is a weekly wrap-up meme hosted by Caffeinated Reviewer. It’s a chance to recap the past week on our blogs, share new books we've received, and talk about what's coming up on our blogs for the week ahead.



{ New Books }

I didn't get a lot of new books this week - nothing from NetGalley since I need to catch up on reviewing what I've got - but I did get a few interesting things from library holds that came in...

{ From the library } :
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/33966463-bizenghast-collectors-edition-v-1https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/35888391-craft-a-life-you-love

I've had Bizenghast on my TBR for a while (because if it's tagged "gothic" it's almost guaranteed that I will want to read it... and this one is a gothic drama graphic novel so obviously YES), so this shiny new collector's edition called me.

I found Amy Tangerine in an art magazine one time and I liked her style - I'm interested to see what she has to say in Craft a Life You Love. The tagline "infusing creativity, fun, and intention into your everyday" appeals, so hopefully her ideas work for me. 


{ Latest Reviews }

None... *sob* ... it was a busy week!


{ Currently... }

Reading: Toil & Trouble: 15 Tales of Women & Witchcraft edited by Jessica Spotswood & Tess Sharpe

Watching: The Great British Baking Show (catching up on old episodes... thank you Netflix)

Playing:  Armikrog ... So I guess I'm a "gamer," but a really specific one. As in, only strategic board games and old school point-and-click computer games. No shooters. No MMORPGs. I need to feel like I'm solving a mystery or going on a quest or exploring something. I spent countless hours of my teen and preteen years playing Myst (and most of its sequels) and King's Quest V, VI, and VII. For a long time I didn't have a computer that could run games, but now I fiiiiinally do again and I'm constantly on Steam looking for games on sale. This week it was Armikrog, from the makers of the Neverhood. I played that one with my brother when we were younger and I don't remember much about it except that it was claymation-animated and bizarre and it made me laugh way too hard at some points. So my brother and I downloaded this new game and we're going to play it together (from afar... since we're both grown up with jobs and other real-life responsibilities now) and hope that it's as fun as the Neverhood...


{ Last Week at the Book Nook }
  • { Binge, Borrowed, Bargain }: Circuses, Wonderland, & Mermaids ... in which I binge-read a delightful little story about a girl in a traveling circus, borrowed a nonfiction picture book biography of Lewis Carroll, and got a bargain Kindle freebie about a girl turning into a mermaid.
  • I joined Blogoween! A book-blog-related Halloween party, basically, that runs all October long! I can't wait!!


{ Last Week's Goals }

  • Read and review at least 2 books.
  • - Nope :(
  • Participate in at least 1 new book blog meme.
  • - Nope :(
  • Join a reading challenge.
  • - Yes!! Blogoween counts, right??


{ Goals for This Week }

For the blog...
  • Read and review at least 2 books.
  • Participate in at least 1 new book blog meme.
  • Post for Blogoween (?/13).

For real life...
  • Try at least 1 new recipe.
  • - Getting real bored of our current meal rotation. :/
  • Keep practicing mindfulness.
  • - I've noticed that I either dwell on the past or focus on the future so much that I just stress out and obsess over things that I can't change anymore or that haven't even happened yet. I'm trying to just be happier in the here and now. That's easier said than done... but I'm working on it.
  • Take a little more time for self-care.
  • - This week I took my first bubble bath since my almost-2-year-old was born ... wow that's crazy!! I just need to make time for a little *me* time!

That's it for me this week! How was your week? Link to your weekly wrap-up post in the comments - I'd love to come visit! :)

7 comments:

  1. I’ve considered getting Netflix just so I can watch the Baking Show. I love that show. Happy October! Good luck with your goals.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's pretty much the only thing I watch on Netflix! I know there is so much more out there, but I love being able to watch something so chill and peaceful... No vicious competition, everyone supports each other, and even when their creation is a hot mess, they're all just like "Oh dear, that's a problem." I love it. It's exactly what I need at the end of most days. :)

      Delete
  2. Yes it's important to take time for yourself. I kept reading even with baby. I have pictures of when she is 3 or 4 and she's sleeping in my lap and I'm reading a huge print book. Good luck on this week. Anne - Books of My Heart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try so hard! He's never been a great sleeper so his naps are like an hour tops, and at the end of the day I'm usually just so drained I can't bring myself to do anything that requires brain power. I've been trying to carve out some time to keep reading though... Thanks for the kind words! Sorry for this ridiculously belated response!

      Delete
  3. I stopped cooking when my child left home. I should really start doing that again. I like that you want to introduce new recipes. I hope you find some amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never really enjoyed cooking, but my husband could manage to burn a bowl of cereal if left alone in the kitchen, so it's basically up to me. I get frustrated when I spend so much time and energy trying something new and it doesn't turn out, so I usually stick to what I know will work, but I need to branch out a bit... Thanks for visiting! Sorry it took me so long to reply!

      Delete