Saturday, January 11, 2020

{ 52WRR }: Review of Ojiichan's Gift by Chieri Uegaki

Welcome to my new weekly feature, { 52 Weeks of Recommended Reading }!

One of my goals for 2020 was to do better about reading books that have won awards or been included on "best of" booklists. I feel like my tastes tend to run a little more off-beat and don't naturally take me to the books that everyone is buzzing about, so by not actively keeping up with these awards and lists, I'm missing out on a lot of great books. So for this year, I decided to read one book every week that has won an award (or is an honor book) or has been included on a list of great books.

(Just as an FYI... the start of this year was unexpectedly busy so I'm a little behind - I'll be posting a few of these in a row to get back on track for week 3. :/ But then the plan is that it will be a once-a-week feature, posting on Tuesdays.)

So here's my first review for my { 52 Weeks of Recommended Reading }!


Ojiichan's Gift
by Chieri Uegaki
illustrated by Genevieve Simms


Available as: hardcover, ebook
Pages: 32
Publisher: Kids Can Press
Publication date: April 2, 2019
Suggested tags: picture book, gardens, nature, Japan


From the publisher:
"When Mayumi was born, her grandfather created a garden for her. It was unlike any other garden she knew. It had no flowers or vegetables. Instead, Ojiichan made it out of stones: “big ones, little ones and ones in-between.” Every summer, Mayumi visits her grandfather in Japan, and they tend the garden together. Raking the gravel is her favorite part. Afterward, the two of them sit on a bench and enjoy the results of their efforts in happy silence. But then one summer, everything changes. Ojiichan has grown too old to care for his home and the garden. He has to move. Will Mayumi find a way to keep the memory of the garden alive for both of them?

This gentle picture book story will warm children's hearts as it explores a deep intergenerational bond and the passing of knowledge from grandparent to grandchild over time. The lyrical text by Chieri Uegaki and luminous watercolor illustrations by Genevieve Simms beautifully capture the emotional arc of the story, from Mayumi's contentment through her anger and disappointment to, finally, her acceptance. The story focuses on an important connection to nature, particularly as a place for quiet reflection. It contains character education lessons on caring, responsibility, perseverance and initiative. It's also a wonderful way to introduce social studies conversations about family, aging and multiculturalism. Mayumi lives in North America with her Japanese mother and Dutch father, and visits her grandfather in Japan. Some Japanese words are included.
"

Awards/Booklists:


A sweet story about a girl and her grandfather, and the rock garden that they care for together. Mayumi visits her grandfather in Japan every summer, and they spend time together taking care of a rock garden. As she grows older, she is able to do more and more to help tend the garden. But as her grandfather grows older, he is able to do less... And although Mayumi is angry and frustrated at first, she finds a way to keep the rock garden going for them both.

I've always found rock gardens to be very peaceful places that invite me to pause and reflect on nature for a while, and the book does an amazing job of conveying this tranquil feeling through its illustrations. The words provide wonderful details of the plants and structures around the garden, and the story itself reads very calm and peaceful. Mayumi's sense of despair when she sees their garden neglected is palpable, but the story ultimately moves back into a feeling of tranquility and ends on a happy note, even though things have changed.


Final verdict: I loved it! I thought this book was great! I might buy it for myself and I would definitely recommend it to others.



{ My reviews are honest and my opinions are my own; 
your reading experience may vary, so give it a read and see what you think. :) }

No comments:

Post a Comment