Sunday, March 18, 2012

In My Mailbox: March 18, 2012




In My Mailbox is hosted by The Story Siren as a way to highlight the books you receive every week (or so). A full explanation and rules can be found here.




From NetGalley:

Almost Amish: One Woman's Quest for a Slower, Simpler, More Sustainable Life
by Nancy Sleeth

Available as: paperback
Pages: 272
Publisher: Tyndale House
Release date: April 1, 2012
Suggested tags: non-fiction, religion, Amish



I don't know where my fascination with the Amish culture and way of life came from, but I've had it for as long as I can remember. So needless to say, I'm really excited I get to read this book, and I'm hoping I'll learn from it some ways I can make my life a little slower, simpler, and more sustainable too.

From Goodreads:
"Have you ever stopped to think, "Maybe the Amish are on to something"? Look around. We tweet while we drive, we talk while we text, and we surf the Internet until we fall asleep. We are essentially plugged in and available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Rather than mastering technology, we have allowed technology to master us. We are an exhausted nation. No one has enough time, everyone feels stressed out, and our kids spend more hours staring at a screen each week than they do playing outside. It's time to simplify our lives, make faith and family the focal point, and recapture the lost art of simple living. Building on the basic principles of Amish life, Nancy Sleeth shows readers how making conscious choices to limit (and in some cases eliminate) technology's hold on our lives and getting back to basics can help us lead calmer, more focused, less harried lives that result in stronger, deeper relationships with our families, friends, and God."


For Review:

Little Miss Bronte &
Little Master Carroll
by Jennifer Adams & Alison Oliver

Available as: board books
Publisher: Gibbs Smith
Publication date: March 1, 2012
Suggested tags: childrens


I was offered these adorable board books for review, and since Charlotte Bronte is one of my favorite authors and Alice's Adventures in Wonderland is one of my favorite books, I just could not pass them up. How cute are they?? I couldn't resist a quick flip through them as soon as the box arrived - the illustrations are beautiful!

From Goodreads:
"With the perennial popularity of classic writers like Charlotte Bronte and Lewis Carroll, Baby Lit is a fashionable way to introduce your toddler to the world of classic literature. With clever, simple text by Jennifer Adams, paired with stylish design and illustrations by Sugar's Alison Oliver, Little Miss Bronte and Little Master Carroll are a must for every savvy parent's nursery library."

18 comments:

  1. Great set! Almost Amish sounds really interesting. I'm going to check it out.
    My IMM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I can't wait to read it. I was definitely intrigued!

      Thanks for visiting! :)

      Delete
  2. I got the Baby Lit books this week too. :)

    Almost Amish sounds like a really cool book and I've had Yes, Chef on my to-read list for a couple weeks now. I find Marcus Samuelsson's life fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Baby Lit books are just too precious. I can't even stand it. Did you get all 4?

      Thanks for visiting! :)

      Delete
  3. I'm a bit jealous of your Amish books. ;) I too have a fascination with them! The Baby Lit books are adorable. Hope they're as awesome as they look.

    Alison at The Cheap Reader

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You understand my Amish affinity! :) The Baby Lit books are farther down my to-read list, so I suppose I shouldn't really have perused them when they arrived... So you didn't hear it from me (yet), but yes, they are awesome. :D

      Thanks for visiting! :)

      Delete
  4. Almost Amish sounds fascinating. Just this past week I was wondering if there's a reverse rumspringa for those of us who would like to try out the Amish lifestyle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reverse rumspringa!! I love it! And I want one!

      Thanks for visiting! :)

      Delete
  5. I don't usually read non-ficton, but Yes, Chef looks interesting.

    Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow these are all new to me I'll have to check em out! Great haul!

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm excited to read them!

      Thanks for visiting! :)

      Delete
  7. Ohh, I love those little classics! They are absolutely adorable. I want one too!

    I hope you enjoy all of your books (:

    Thanks for stopping by at my blog,
    Celine ~ Nyx Book Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I can't wait to read them!

      My pleasure, and same to you! :)

      Delete
  8. Almost Amish looks interesting. Hope you enjoy all of your books. Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh! This is an interesting looking mailbox full of completely new books for me! I really hope they turn out to be great:)

    Sorry for stopping by so late! Too much of a crazy week, sadly. I really hope you enjoy your new reads!

    ReplyDelete