Saturday, March 24, 2012

New Adult Discoveries

I was really intrigued when I learned about the New Adult genre, which covers the college-age part of life between YA and Adult lit. I haven't really heard much about books that are marketed as New Adult, though. The first book (and, until today, the only book) I've come across that actually said it was New Adult was Twenty-Somewhere by Kristan Hoffman.


From Goodreads:
"Twenty-Somewhere tells the story of three best friends as they navigate life after college. Beautiful and confident Sophie Lin, goody goody aspiring writer Claudia Bradford, and boy-crazy nerd MJ Alexander are ready to take on the Real World -- or so they think.

But MJ's hunky lab supervisor keeps distracting her from her research, and what's worse, she almost doesn't care. After years of single-minded focus, MJ may have lost her passion for science, and her sense of self along with it. Meanwhile Claudia's passion for writing is stronger than ever, but her confidence is drowning in a sea of rejection. Her boyfriend Eli is supposed to be a life preserver; instead he feels like just another wave pulling her under. Last but not least, Sophie decides to swim against the current: she quits her advertising job in pursuit of a more meaningful vocation. Six weeks later, all she has to show for her idealism is a growing stack of unpaid bills.

As their relationships go sour, their careers sputter, and a few too many ethical dilemmas arise, the girls reunite in Paris, desperate for a dose of the one thing they can always count on: each other. But after so much time apart, will that really cure what ails them? Or will their friendship fall apart like everything else in their lives?
"

But I hadn't come across any New Adult books since I found that one. So I decided to do a little digging on Goodreads today and see what I could find. To my surprise, I already had some New Adult books on my to-read list - I just had them listed as YA. Which makes me wonder if there is some overlap between YA and New Adult (and New Adult and Adult too, I would guess) where books can fall into both genres, or if "YA" is just the default label for New Adult books for now.


I also found a lot of New Adult books I'd never heard of, and my to-read list is now significantly longer. Here are my discoveries - hope you find some goodies here you might want to read too! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment